On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 08:11 -0500, Cory K. wrote:
> Contrary or not, I'm human. I get pissed and I will say something. This
> whole bullshit POV where I'm not allowed to say something when I'm
> pissed is crap but users on lists can? Naa... I ain't gonna do it. I'm
> "human" like the rest of ya. ;)

I for one think that's a fair answer :-)

On the topic of helping you guys with the release of ubuntu studio, I
have some thoughts. (You could call them 'suggestions' if you want.)

A few months back I wrote that I would like to contribute to the ubuntu
studio releases. I joined the developers list and regularly read the
messages posted here and there. I really wanted to help out, and I still
do, but there where very few matters I could help someone with.

This is mainly because my setup just 'works'. I hardly have any problems
with it. So if someone has a problem that goes a bit further than a
wrong setting or something like that, it would cost me days to find out
what it's about. I could do that kind of thing if it was in my working
field. If it where something related to PD-audio, for example. But I
cannot spend that much time on random subjects I know very little about.

Louis spoke of the frustration the team has with people saying they want
to help out and end up doing nothing. That's understandable.

But on the other side, I tried to spot something on the list that needs
someone to take care of, and in an area I am more or less confident I
can do it. I haven't found anything yet, but I'll keep looking. But
there's one problem with this approach. The things you guys need help
with are almost never the easy things a beginning contributor can do.

And if you need more contributors, it might be a good idea to create a
framework where they can work on easy things first and learn to tackle
more complex things when they are ready.

Maybe this has been tried before, and perhaps it did not work, i don't
know. But since you all are so busy working on Ubuntu Studio, aren't
there some easy tasks you can delegate to beginning contributors? That
way, you would have more time for the things that really need your
experience.

Perhaps we could make a list of things people could do to help, with a
short explanation of what knowledge is needed to do so? I'm sure that if
I find something that's within my limits, I'll put my money where my
mouth is and do the job. But how to know what you would like to be done
by someone else?

Mmm... perhaps someone is needed to create and maintain such a list? ;-)

Regards,

yvan