29 Aug 2016 10:14:55 +0200, br...@linuxsynths.com [1]wrote:

>> Funny!
I would have said about the same thing, but for apt-get.

> Hi,

apt and apt-get make not much of a difference, it's just that apt does

use an easy to understand name instead if dist-upgrade, which is named

full-upgrade and a newbie don't need to use apt-cache or dpkg to

search, show or list. It also provides an option to edit sources.list,

so a newbie does not need to know where it's located. Since apt is
new,
> it doesn't need to be backwards compatible. Since it's the new
official
> Ubuntu command line tool for package management, pitfalls
introduced by
> other user-friendly tools, at the moment just aptitude
comes to mind,
> could be ruled out, since Ubuntu and apt defaults will
fit very well
> together.
>
> I can't see any advantage for a newbie,
when dealing with apt-get,
> instead of learning how to use apt.
Advanced users likely prefer the
> apt-get defaults, I at least
temporarily need to use apt with

> -o APT::Color="0"
>
> because
otherwise the output could be unreadable on my monitor. To get

completely rid of it, I would have to edit the config. That's why I

agree that apt-get could be more comfortable for experienced users,

used to it.

> Why do you think that apt-get is easier to use for
newbies?

> Regards,
> Ralf

I don't know why it would be easier. But
I was a newbie when I learned of it, and I discovered Apt later on but
stuck with apt-get anyway. But probably just because of habit.

I would
hazard a guess however, that if one of the two has a GUI, then I would
probably go with that. Newbies like GUIs I think. Lots of people have a
bad taste in their mouths about linux because it was so terminal-based.
(Even if using a terminal has definite advantages, for sure. Just not
for the beginning coming from Windows.)

brian

Links:
------