On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:36:49 +0300, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
>Yes, that's moving to more sophisticated usage. And quite frankly, if
>we're talking about technologically inexperienced people, wouldn't
>they use a GUI (Software Center?) anyway?

Not in regards to the wiki, help pages or when solving issues by the
mailing list. Command line allows to copy and paste and it allows
assuming that the defaults were not that likely edited as by a GUI
front-end. And if the Ubuntu defaults should be very important, or if
changing defaults should be very important, it could be done
temporarily by command line options, too.

>One really good plus for apt's scoreboard is the progress bar at the
>bottom of the terminal screen. I'm sure there are others, but that's
>the thing that jumps at your eyes.

It's just not an apt-get default, but also available for apt-get, run
it with

  -o Dpkg::Progress-Fancy="1"

for example

  sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Progress-Fancy="1" install alpine-pico

or disable it for apt by running apt with

  -o Dpkg::Progress-Fancy="0"

for example

  sudo apt -o Dpkg::Progress-Fancy="0" install alpine-pico

To make it permanent, edit the default settings as described by

http://askubuntu.com/questions/445245/how-do-i-enable-fancy-apt-colours-and-progress-bars

Regards,
Ralf