Hi there, welcome to the list :-)

Firstly thanks for the spelling mistake point-outs, however we are
only at the initial stages of making this thing and havn't even
decided on its content yet so I am personally forgiving any mistakes
like that until we have a final draft.

About linux not being mentioned, I'm not so sure about including it.
Firstly yes, it is a bit scary/geeky if we start bandying around terms
like linux, UNIX, kernel etc in a leaflet to promote Ubuntu to
non-technical users. It could also get very confusing and soak up a
lot of leaflet space explaining why linux is not UNIX, the difference
between Linux and GNU/Linux etc.

Maybe we could put an explanation in the 'install' bit - something
like: INSTALL: Hit the install button and grab a cuppa; lets explain a
bit about what Ubuntu is: Ubuntu is an operating system that is based
on a core piece of programming called the Kernel. The kernel controls
all the *etc*. As you can see this will take ages to explain in simple
terms and the reader may have more questions afterwards than before.
It might be better to include a link to an explanation (To read about
how Ubuntu works under the hood visit ...) or another leaflet which
explains what linux is. (wild shot in the dark but it could be a 3
piece series of leaflets: 1) FOSS 2) Linux 3) Ubuntu).

Regards,

On 18/06/07, Louisa Parry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Chris (and since it's my first post to the list, a general hello to
> all too)
>
> I like your pretty version but have a few very minor (proofreading-y)
> niggles.
>
> Panel 2 'why bother?'
> - point 3 - there seems to be a comma issue here - I'd either add one
> after "run on it" ("ubuntu, and the programs that run on it, are free")
> or I'd remove the one from after "ubuntu" ("ubuntu and the programs that
> run on it are free")
> - point 4 - "wont" should have an apostrophe in it - "won't"
> - the spacing between the heading and the text in the 'why is it free?'
> section seems inconsistent with the heading/text spacing elsewhere (not
> a big deal obviously - I'm just anal enough to notice)
>
> Panel 4 'lets fix your pc'
> - heading - should be "let's" since it's short for "let us"
> - para 3 - I don't think "software packages" would mean much to a
> non-techie - "programs" (as used elsewhere in the leaflet) would be
> better imho
>
> Panel 6 'install'
> - para 5 - I'd hyphenated "double clicking" but that's possible just me
>
> Also I couldn't help but notice that the word 'linux' isn't used at all
> in the leaflet.  Is this intentional because it's a bit too scary/geeky
> sounding?  Personally I would think it would be more important to
> mention that in the 'why is it free?' section than the stuff about
> Canonical...
>
> -Louisa :)
>
> On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:36 +0100, Chris Rowson wrote:
> > Oh yeah - sorry heres a link
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/Leaflets?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=leaflet2_withgraphics_chris_rowson.pdf
> >

> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com