2008/11/16 Paul Sutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Are launch parties designed for the Ubuntu team communty or aimed at the
> public generally ?

Going by the last 3 that I have been to, everyone is welcome.

> I can help with one in Exeter, (i will probably need a lift though, sort
> this out nearer the time) ?

The more parties the merrier. I have been to 3 in London and they were
fairly well attended. The more recent two being quite busy in fact.
All three were held in pubs, where there was more celebration than
installation.

> If we give copies of 9.04 away, are there plans to have copies of 8.10

The release party often happens on the day of release (the last 3 we
had in London did anyway) and as such the official CDs are not
available in time. Given it was more a celebration and not
install-fest there were less opportinities to hand out CDs because
most people there were already "converted", and not new.

However that said at the 8.10 party I stood and talked to a couple for
about half an hour. Eventually when they left to another part of the
pub I managed to find someone (kiko from the launchpad team) who had a
CD on him. I went off round the (large) pub until I found the couple
and gave them the CD as promised.

It was also an opportunity to talk to the developers and sponsors of
the product we all use. I spent what seemed like ages talking to Mark
Shuttleworth about the desktop, Steve George about support and Mattias
Gug about the server. So not only is it a great "beer and friends"
event, but it's a fantastic way to network too.

> to hand so we can give these out too, it won't be that old, and if
> people like 8.10 then 9.04 should be better, it may be easier to get
> hold of lots of 8.10 cd's, a few months before 9.04 is released. and
> hence before the party

There's nothing wrong with giving out 8.04 or 8.10 at the 9.04 release
party, but clearly 9.04 CDs will be desirable. However if someone is
very new, would you hand them a brand new just-pressed CD without
knowing some of the gotchas in that release?

> I think if we do a public launch event we should follow it up with an
> install fest, a week or two later, so we can install for people, and
> promote Linux user groups and the loco team page so people can get
> support. hopefully by then the DCLUG will be meeting on a regular
> basis,  if the exwick centre is open this could mean regular events in
> exeter.

You mean DCGLUG don't you? :)

I agree, an installfest would be great and now would be great time to
start planning such an event.

> What resources do we need for this?,

* Enthusiasm
* People
* Other stuff

Also see:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/RunningReleaseParty
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EventsGlobal

>  what funding do we have?,

None from the LoCo. Likely none from Canonical. However Canonical will
provide a show pack containing a few t-shirts, caps, leaflets and a
big box of CDs if required.

> what can
> we do to raise funds,

Woooah there cowboy. Before saying "how do we raise funds" you should
be asking "what can we do without funds" and "what would we absolutely
want to do that _required_ funds". Don't presume funds are necessary.

>  even printing out labels costs money so again it

They do, and some members of the team will (I'm certain) step up and
do some of the things you might expect require monetary outlay for.

> If we are planning a public event we need to advertise and promote this,
> widely,  so could do with a decent budget,  to help raise funds, perhaps
> sponsorship,  so now is the time to get this in place, so once the
> venue, time date is booked, we can simply do a big advertising campaign
> to raise awareness

There are many ways to promote an event that doesn't require massive
financial outlay.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/RunningReleaseParty#Publicise%20It

> when is Windows 7 released,

Allegedly late next year. Who knows though.

Cheers
Al.