On 7 March 2012 10:36, Nigel Verity <nigelver...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi
>
> It's been interesting to read about Canonical's ideas for the future of
> Ubuntu; in particular its use as an OS for tablets and other mobile
> devices. It strikes me that some of this vision is undermined by the
> implications of the "Secure Boot" functionality being specified by
> Microsoft on ARM processors as a pre-requisite to achieve "Windows 8
> Compatible" status.
>
> A lot of the up-coming tablets are going to be using ARM chips, so unless
> the Microsoft requirement is modified, or manufacturers choose to ignore
> it, the Canonical vision seems to be flawed. Or am I missing something?

There's nothing to stop Ubuntu working with Secure Boot: it means that if
device manufacturers are producing Ubuntu devices then they will have key
pairs that allow Ubuntu to boot on their systems. It's slightly different
to the PC platform in that the assumption, rightly or wrongly, is that
customers don't generally install custom operating systems on their phones
and tablets, and indeed I think there would be some reticence on behalf of
the phone companies to allow that from both support and system security
perspectives, so if the hybrid phone came to fruition, the version of
Ubuntu on the phone at least would theoretically be only upgradable through
maker and telco paths.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood