On 7 March 2012 15:12, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 March 2012 14:56, Alan Bell <alan.b...@libertus.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 07/03/12 14:43, Liam Proven wrote:
> >>

> https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=raspberry+pi+700+second
> >>
> >> I scaled it down 2 orders of magnitude to something I find a bit more
> >> plausible.
> >>
> >> At £25, yes, I can believe they have a million-odd preorders.
> >>
> > yeah, I had seen the 700 a second stuff too, ridiculous! I can certainly
> > believe they have a lot of pre-orders, certainly in the hundreds of
> > thousands. A million is plausible taking into account international
> orders.
> > What I am not seeing is a massive buzz about this in the educational
> sector
> > yet. My teaching twitter friends are not really talking about it, it is a
> > technology thing so far. Anyone else heard about the Raspberry Pi via a
> > teacher or someone at a school who would not ordinarily be interested in
> > geeky stuff?
>
> Some.
>
> http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-03/06/raspberry-pi-hits-the-playground
>
> But I think the point is that this is not aimed at *schools*, it is
> aimed at *schoolkids*. The concept is that ICT teaching now amounts to
> just classes in how to use a Windows PC & some majority (monopoly?)
> apps.
>
> Rpi is aimed at being affordable to kids, or to parents to buy for
> their kids, for kids who want to play around and learn.
>
> Getting it into classrooms would mean a total revamp of ICT teaching,
> which is too ambitious a project at this stage.
>
> I think it's a great idea. Not sure it will work, but hey, major kudos
> to David Braben & Co for *trying.*

It's certainly got my wife's school's ICT staff excited although I'm not
sure what direction it would take learning in. Last night I was having a
conversation with an old acquaintance who has done stuff with ARM systems
for years and is currently looking at bridges between the RaspberryPi and
Arduino boards, which is another area altogether and one that could
potentially create little computers that are aware of their surroundings
and can respond to them. We also agreed that secondary market around the
RaspberryPi is probably going to be bigger than the actual market for the
machines, which again makes them interesting because they are more of a
blank slate than a cheap laptop.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood