On 30/04/12 15:02, k...@sohcahtoa.org.uk wrote:
Hello All

Hum.... backups

Ubuntu One accounts get 5Gb free. I'm wondering if an option to
automatically sync the Documents folder with Ubuntu One might help
people not loose lots of work? I know it is getting into Google
Chrome OS territory, and, yes, potentially another annoying and
confusing choice when booting for the first time. Just a thought.

Hope the chap who has nowhere to copy his 19Gb reads this: 5Gb on
Ubuntu One, 2Gb on Dropbox and 5Gb on Google Drive. Use a local
coffee bar or arts centre free wifi to do the intial sync to avoid
topping out your broadband if it is capped. Better than loosing the
lot.

I have not used it much yet but I think that the backup app in 12.04 - by default - tries to connect with ubuntu one! :-) This is a good idea in principle. However I will be interested to see how it works out. There are a real lot of hurdles from novice needing initial backup through to successful use of U1 for backup, not least a typically slow-ish upload rate. Most people are now familiar with usb sticks and external larger usb connected drives, and I suspect that is a more newcomer friendly route.

--
alan cocks