> I'm also not keen on the 'do a re-install' mantra.   Its great if you
> have a minimal system, like I had on my netbook, but my desktop has
> loads of extras installed that I would have to remember and re-install.

i am of the same opinion.
Wasn't there the apt on CD thing? And also you could sync your softwarecentre
installed programs. But I guess that does not cover things compiled by yourself?

> (That is a drawback, I suppose of keeping the initial install down to CD
> size - it doesn't even have LO Base). Then there is always all that
> re-inputting of email and instant messenger account details.

There is a way to save mail settings of thunderbird. But gwibber and messenging
account are not there... Might be a good suggestion.

What i did as a back up was that i had an ext4 partition of 53gb i copied my
20gb home folder there.
And i then upgrated. (Finally know the difference with updating thanks)
Is that less secure? I guess a full harddrive failure could happen?

I would like to know how to do a \home partition without having to reinstall
but this might be too much.