On 05/02/13 09:48, Mark Einon wrote:
On 5 February 2013 08:58, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Mark. Thanks for the thoughts.
~/pcilist.text: No such file or directory

Ah, ok. Not sure what when on there - perhaps you could just try
'lspci --nn' and copy the printout the way you know works?

The PCI device ID we need from this is important - as each driver has
a table of such device IDs that it can support. If the device ID isn't
listed in any of the drivers you are trying to "blindly" install, they
will not work - It might just be that Compaq has changed the device ID
themselves and it would just be a case of adding the device ID to the
relevant driver, or I can grep the kernel code for your particular
device ID to see which driver should be handling it. The device ID
should also help to tell us the exact chip model that we are dealing
with.

I think the double dash in --nn is wrong, should be a single dash.

lspci --nn
lspci: invalid option -- '-'
Usage: lspci [<switches>]

There follows a long list of possible instructions, all using a single
dash. I'm reluctant to try all of these at random, but the ones I have tried which have given any new information are these (giving relevant lines of response only). I'll try other possibilities from the list of lspci commands if you like.

Display options:
-k show kernel drivers handling each device
lspci -k
04.00.0 Network controller:Ralink Corp. RT3290
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 18ec

Resolving of device ID's to names:
-n Show numeric ID's
lspci -n
04.00.0 0280: 1814:3290

-nn Show both textual and numeric ID's (names and numbers)
lspci -nn
04.00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. RT3290
Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe [1814:3290]

-q Query the PCI database for unknown ID's via DNS
lspci -q
04.00.0 Network controller:Ralink Corp. RT3290
Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
-qq As above, but re-query locally cached entries
-Q Query the PCI ID database for all ID's via DNS

By the way, do you think I should uninstall rt3562sta? You gave the instruction for doing so in a previous message.

- Rowan