On 01/05/13 13:55, Jones, Victor wrote:
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:06:56 +0100 From: Barry Drake
<ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> To: ubuntu-uk
<ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Dixons/PC World
response ..... After a lot of contact making, including two
opposing e-mails from the support team, I got the following
response after copying in the CEO for the group. This seems to
represent the official policy of Currys, PC World, Dixons.co.uk and
Pixmania.com The message title was: DIX1928366CR, RE: very mixed
response ..... and includes the following paragraph: "For the
pre-loaded Linux operating system on the product, the manufacturers
directly provide technical support. For PC peripherals such as
printer there is an option for customer to download drivers for
different operating system like Windows, Linux and MAC. We would
recommend customer to check or ask the store whether these drivers
are available from the manufacturer direct. Our store endeavour to
provide any assistance of different versions of operating system,
however, this cannot be guaranteed all the time. I have logged your
complaint under reference CC2000722. Mohammed Gulfraz - The
KNOWHOW? Team." Dated 29th April.

It might be good if list members could test this out at their local
branch by asking which peripherals do support Linux, and making a
complaint if the branch is opposed to giving this information. Kind
regards, Barry. -- Good Job.   Raising awareness of Linux among
retail companies is a long slog - with perseverance they'll slowly
get the message that customers want alternatives.   Kudos to you
for pursuing it.

I have often got undesirable responses from almost ANY 'shops' selling
PCs, although I have not tried much now that Android is blossoming so
well, and Chromebooks.

The adverse comments are usually quite firm, well rehearsed, and based
obviously on prejudice not experience.

The comments are ALWAYS aimed at 'Linux', not Ubuntu, for example.

This thread is in ubuntu-uk lists so perhaps the subtle difference
between 'Ubuntu'  and 'Linux' is relevant.

I have become aware that the fair criticism that linux kernel hacking
is only for geeks, not normal people, (present company accepted...)
has been effortlessly subverted by the opposition to include all OSs
based on the linux kernel.

'Linux' is very significant to hackers, but I suggest that we need to
be aware of the ease the word is used against us.

On a happier note -  have you seen the Jim Zemlin 20 minutes Ted talk:
http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/What-the-Tech-Industry-Has-Lear
;-)

--
alan cocks