On 09/05/13 13:00, Paul Sutton wrote:
Taking on the big boys is a big job, helping the smaller shops expand what they offer may be the way forward. and it helps local small shops which the high street needs too. If a small store offers something unique then it helps them generate new customer interest. Just a few thoughts. Paul

A problem here is that there is no way any of the small shops can compete on price with the big boys. And as we know, the big boys are driven by Microsoft to an unfair degree.

Four years or so ago, I bought a Dell netbook with Ubuntu pre-installed. I went in to our local Dixons at that time asking about purchasing from them but was told "We no longer stock it - they all came back". I imagine they 'all came back' because of lack of staff-training. OTOH the price of these netbooks from Dixons had been really keen. No independent retailer could possibly have got near it!

Regards,        Barry.