On 09/05/13 11:09, pete smout wrote:
> On 09/05/13 10:51, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
>> On 2013-05-09 10:39, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>>> I find it very interesting that nearly four years ago, when I bought my
>>> Toshiba Netbook with Ubuntu Remix from Dixons, they were selling
>>> like hot
>>> cakes, far better than the equivalent Windows machines.
>>> Then suddenly, overnight, they disappeared. Now what retailer would
>>> remove
>>> a best-selling line instantly like that, /unless /there was some
>>> sort of
>>> external pressure to do so? ;-(
>>
>> Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
>> explained by stupidity."
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tyler
>>
> Perhaps it was the inability of the staff to provide effective
> support, I would suggest that the earlier offer of training made by
> Victor is the way forward, but this must come down from 'on high' as
> many of the store based 'managers' seem to lack the confidence /
> ability to make a decision for the benefit of their customers. Perhaps
> now that LINUX is becoming more 'mainstream' now is the time to apply
> pressure to the top of such monolithic organizations.
>
> Note I have found my local 1 man band PC supplies store to be far more
> helpful, and if he does not know he takes my number and does some
> research and gets back to me (good 'ole customer service is not dead!).
> I hope to build a good enough relationship with him that we can get a
> small rack of Ubuntu install cd's in his shop soon! (I have convinced
> him to try it on his old(er) laptop rather than throw it away as it
> wont run WIN 8! this conversation only happened last week!
>
> I will keep this list posted on any progress I make.
>
> Regards
>
> Pete

Maybe we can include a few user group fliers in there too, so people at
least have some way of getting help / support if they need it,  maybe
invite him to join the lug,  as for cd's maybe also include some Lubuntu
cd's , debian cd's  or other cd's (maybe the lug can help put some
together),  perhaps the shop owner could help by providing a pc + Linux,
but include a built in sd card writer and a raspberry pi image,  so new
pi users can get help flashing the sd card.

Where are you based,  maybe the lug can do some sort of Linux demo event
or something ast the shop,  a bit like the Ubuntu hours but if we call
it GNU/Linux hour instead is less distro centric.

Taking on the big boys is a big job,  helping the smaller shops expand
what they offer may be the way forward.  and it helps local small shops
which the high street needs too.

If a small store offers something unique then it helps them generate new
customer interest.

Just a few thoughts.

Paul

--
May

--
http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.