On 09/05/13 19:16, SuperEngineer wrote:
On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 09:39 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
I find it very interesting that nearly four years ago, when I bought
my Toshiba Netbook with Ubuntu Remix from Dixons, they were selling
like hot cakes, far better than the equivalent Windows machines.
Then suddenly, overnight, they disappeared. Now what retailer would
remove a best-selling line instantly like that, unless there was some
sort of external pressure to do so? ;-(

Agreed - I bought my first netbook from PC World [during a sale] with an
XFCE Linux distro - not Ubuntu but I soon converted it - the point is I
bought it with a Linux distro.  It had a hardware fail a short time
after & once back from a replacement mainboard the shop actually
reloaded the OS on the spot.. with their instantly to hand distro CD.
Shop was actually impressed that they could do this so quickly and
easily!
I occasionally go back to same store - not a Linux machine in sight.
Those in the know at the store share my disappointment - but the average
comment is "..but we have to sell what the customers expect."

Therein lies the weakness - we must educate to expect better.

A blast from the past but still makes me smile:
'Thieves dont even want  Vista'
Video - (see from 2mins 8sec)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1uQ4veOTg

;-)

PS
The video is only slightly inaccurate, only a single laptop was stolen, that was all they had in the shop!
--
alan cocks