On 6 February 2016 at 22:51, Jim Price <d1vers...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like you had ticked the lvm option on the original installation.

Before I get to that line...

> As
> you haven't mentioned that I thought I would

I am not sure I understand that.

Anyway, David, you should have told us this. It changes everything.
Did you? If so, why?

I may be reading the description wrongly, but it looks to me like only
the secondary partition is an LVM one. If it is, and you are not using
it and there is nothing in it, I suggest you remove it, and the
extended partition that it's inside.

Then, make a file in the root directory called:

forcefsck

This causes Ubuntu to check and repair the root drive on the next
reboot. You'll need to use sudo:

sudo touch /forcefsck

Then reboot.

It will take a while and when it's done the file should have disappeared.

Then resize /dev/sda1 to the full capacity of the disk. You will need
to use a LiveCD to do this, you can't do it from the running OS
installation itself, any more than you can change your shoes while
you're running.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven