Larry Cafiero wrote:

>     For one thing, I don't think the link deserves to be on every single
>     page in the wiki.
>

>  I don't believe it should be on every single page of the wiki, but
> you should have wiki pages where people who are using Ubuntu and want
> more face-to-face interaction with other people using Ubuntu -- and
> where will they find them?
No, I don't think it should be on every page either, but that's what
Grant is advocating.  In fact, I am thinking about what a dedicated page
should look like... but I'm also wondering if it would be better off in
a more general location and not confined to the California wiki pages.

>     Another thing that concerned me since we first compiled the list
>     is that
>     there have been countless sites that exist to list LUGs and
>     events, and
>     not a single one of them is complete or maintained.
>

> Not a single one? I'm going to assume you checked all of them.
I've yet to see what that is.
> I don't think anyone's asking for "every single page of the wiki" to
> promote LUGs, but I do think it works in Ubuntu's best interest to
> promote LUGs on appropriate pages, as I outlined in my earlier e-mail.
That's pretty clearly what Grant's asking, but I think proper placement
on the appropriate page is the best thing for any such link.  I think
you and I are in complete agreement there.  I really value our
LUGs--they're a social group in a way that a LoCo really isn't designed
to be, and I think that the LoCos are a wonderful way for users of all
Linux distros to remember what they have in common.

I'm pretty confident that future projects will work with LUGs whenever
appropriate and possible.  The momentum we have going is encouraging and
I don't see it stopping.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu California Local Community Team