Hi everyone,

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 21:11 -0700, Paul Reiber wrote:
> I could have mis-read this, but I believe we're discussing the
> existence of ONE SINGLE LINK in the "menu" portion of the wiki which
> gets transcluded onto many other pages.

That's exactly correct. Those "many other pages" are all of the active
pages on the CaliforniaTeam wiki, including the homepage. Thus, anything
linked on there is rather prominent.

> From a layout perspective, there's no problem adding another link (or
> 2) in that section; it currently has only 3 lines while one neighbor
> has four and another has five.
>
> I look at the current "Get Involved" choices - "Projects" and "IRC
> Meetings" and find that lacking.

I agree that the layout could do with changing, but I disagree that
arbitrarily adding one of our several projects to that section is the
way to do that. I'd be more inclined to change the "Get Involved"
section to a "Projects" section, and there link all of the active
projects that are on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects .
The "IRC Meetings" link is a duplicate anyway, so we wouldn't lose
anything.

In other words, the whole section would be changed to look something
like this:
'''[[CaliforniaTeam/Projects|Current Projects]]'''
[[CaliforniaTeam/Projects/OSCON2009|OSCON 2009]]
[[CaliforniaTeam/Projects/UserGroupContacts|Contacting User Groups]]
[[CaliforniaTeam/Projects/CDSleeves|Ubuntu CD Sleeves]]

... and we'd add the Podcast when it gets on its feet, and other
projects as we start them. We don't generally have more than three or
four things going at once anyway.

I note here the implied view that UserGroupContacts is a project with
the aim of contacting user groups to see how we can help them, whose
page contains information that helps volunteers for that project
organize and document who we've contacted. That implies that the
information should not be re-purposed as a page for the general public
about LUGs in California, because there are more appropriate places
online for that, and because that's outside the mission of the wiki.

Considering that I don't think anyone's brought this option up before
(and that I didn't think it through much because I'm tired), I'd be
interested in comments about it :)

~ Robert

--
Robert Wall <robertlikesturt...@gmail.com>