Hi All,

I am rather new to Ubuntu-US-CA (and to running a LUG), but I thought
I'd give my perspective on this issue.  There has been a lot said so
far; so, I won't try to comment on what everyone else has said.

First, I have to say that I find the whole discussion a little absurd.
It seems that it is pretty poor management practice (even if the
"manager" is the whole group itself) to have removed the link and
created a fuss.  In any business or organization, I think you will find
that you get the best results when you give your enthusiastic
employees/volunteers space to be creative and to take some initiative.
If we as group  (or any of us in particular) try to micro-manage
individual efforts, particularly when that individual is doing a good
job spreading the word about Ubuntu and the LoCo, we will find that
hardly anyone will be willing to put forth an effort, and not much will
get done.  In my opinion, Grant has been doing a great job, is
enthusiastic, and deserves to have is work stand without every trivial
change (which I think adding link to the page design is) being
questioned.  I personally think this whole discussion has done nothing
but hold back further efforts and participation.

Secondly, even if we are forgetting my above sentiments, I think the
link on the menu (and hence every page) is perfectly reasonable.  I also
think a link to the podcast would be good as well.  The site, as is, is
a bit difficult navigate and links to important efforts should be
included.  As a new LUG maintainer, I think any advertisement from the
Ubuntu LoCo page would be quite helpful, and I am not at all worried
about people thinking my group is just an Ubuntu group - it is clear
from our own site and the name LUG, that we are not.  I can't imagine an
LUG being offended by the Ubuntu LoCo advertising their group.  But,
hey, I certainly don't represent everyone.  Secondly, I, as an Ubuntu
user, would look for that type of information on my LoCo page (i.e.
where can I get help locally).  So, a prominent link clearly helps such
a user coming to the site.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Feel free to ignore them if you guys
feel (quite rightly) that I have yet to earn my Ubuntu LoCo stripes.

-Jack