Well lads - sometimes the simplest stuff is the way to go. I've been
running system load indicator and weather applet on my old 1.6 Gh dual
core with 2meg on precise. Endless freezes: disabled nvidia etc etc -
but what has worked, so far is them at startup. Suggest it may be
worthwhile looking at underlying tech. I'll load back one at a time when
sure this has worked and try to diagnose which caused the kak.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently