I never use my intel gpu anyway, since I have an nvidia graphics card in
a desktop pc.

So finally, having had enough of this miserable bug, i blacklisted the
intel gpu.

I blacklisted the i915 module like this, in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:

blacklist i915
blacklist i915_drm_kms_helper

The second line may be redundant (that module should not load without
i915).

I feel as though a great and terrible weight has been lifted.

The i915 module is broken, and I don't know how to fix it, but at least
I am free of these crashes.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.