Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> On 4/13/06, Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh at sun.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>    You will see one default entry starting with lo0. You will get more
>> entries depending
>>    on whether your ethernet and wireless are supported. Can you post
>> what entries you
>>    are seeing ?
>>

> lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu
> 8232 index 1
>       inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
> bge0: flags=1004843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
>       inet 10.7.5.235 netmask ffff0000 broadcast 10.7.255.255
>       ether 0:14:22:d5:bf:e9
> iwi0: flags=1004802<BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
>       inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0
>       ether 0:16:6f:41:d:eb

   So that's wireless for you:  iwi0 is your wireless interface being
recognised. You
   seem to be having an Intel Pro/Wireless card.
> I'll send this separately to you as attachment text files too.
>

>>    For more on Network Config and Wireless see the BeleniX FAQ:
>>
>>    http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Belenix_FAQ
>>

> Ack. I'll visit there. Apparently, there are certain configuration
> with wireless networks in our office. I'll investigate this separately
> and write in with my findings.

   Okay thanks. You may want to refer to the following page for setting
up your
   wireless connection:
   http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/wireless/wificonfig/

>>    There are a few things that you can try out. For eg. after creating a
>> non-root user
>>    (see Adding and Deleting Users in the BeleniX FAQ) login as that user
>> and execute
>>    startxfce or startkde.
>> <http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Belenix_FAQ#Adding_and_Deleting_users>
>>

> Here's what I did after booting off the CD-ROM:
> 1. start in command prompt only mode.
> 2. /usr/sbin/useradd sriram
> 3. create the home directory for the user sriram at /home/sriram
>
> startkde and startxfce both give me the following error messages:
>
> /usr/bin/startxfce: /dev/msglog: cannot create
> /usr/bin/startkde: /dev/msglog: cannot create

   Oh. Small issue, fixable easily. I will fix this in the next release.
Essentially /dev/msglog
   should be replaced by /dev/console in both those scripts.

>> Use Kdevelop to create and build C/C++ projects.
>>

> I'll try this separately. In fact, I'll try all of the KDE apps and
> send you a "testing" report :)

   Thanks!

>>    Check whether audio is working:
>>
>>    Execute ls -l /dev/audio  - If you see a symbolic link to sound/0
>> then the audio
>>    device was recognized. Get into KDE, start SuperTux and check whether
>> you are
>>    getting the music.
>>

> SuperTux works just fine. Juk was able to play an mp3, but Amarok went
> silent and wouldn't play anything at all.

   Hmm. MP3 support should be disabled in all media players! I will fix
Juk :-| Amarok should
   play OGG, wav and MOD files. I will put up the MP3 and other codecs
bundle for separate
   download from Sarovar.ORG.

   This is all due to mindless licensing and patent crap.

Rrgards,
Moinak.