From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 6:23 AM
Subject: Re: ugnet_: Go slow on federo says Kabaka Mutebi-Monitor 25/11/2002

> Mr Kipenji,
>
> you ask:
>
> > Are we in Buganda for Federalism or Monarchism?.That
> > is the issue I would like all peace loving Baganda
> > whose
> > "Ekitiibwa kyava da" to discuss with the rest of
> > Ugandans for I am an ardent supporter of Federalism.
>
> I think the question you rise has been clearly answered long ago, we favor
both.  Within Buganda there is a clear large majority in favor of a federal
Uganda.  There is also in Buganda a clear large majority in favor of the
monarchy, which since 1955 has been a constitutional monarchy.

> The unsolved issues are what workable and durable constitution Uganda will
adopt and what mechanism will lead to the fashioning of such a constitution.
My reading of Buganda opinion is that Buganda will go along with an
arrangement that recognises Buganda as a unified entity with internal
autonomy. I realise that there is some discomfort outside Buganda with such
expectations but they are unlikely to be bargained away.