Date: Monday, October 06, 2003 09:29:18 PM
Subject: ugnet_: NATASHA KARUGIRE'S BABY

Ugandans

President Museveni's grand-child has taken over the press for now almost 10 days. And most of the people are more concerned about the monies that were spent for this creation miracle to take place. I have read many comments including what my neighbour Muniini Mulera posted in Uganda Monitor. I however want to take this thinking a step further in a different direction that many of those who are writing have failed to look at.

If you read the president's explanation of why he had to send this girl to Germany you would see that Museveni is a president who is very scared. He is scared of the medical system he has created in Uganda, he has no Doctor he trusts with not only his life but with the lives of the members of his family. But this government is not new in Uganda, it has been in power for 20 years plus or minus. Why has president Museveni failed to get a Uganda Doctor he trusts? Secondly, when I look at president Museveni, I see that he has fewer years in power than those he has been in power, so that means he can not start today to get a Doctor he can trust. My question then becomes, what will he do if he leaves office? If he is not elected tomorrow for a third term, how will he and his entire family get medical attention if he does not trust any of them to today?

Secondly, One of the reasons which brought Museveni to presidency, was to get the Dictators out of power. But Iddi Amin fell sick in Uganda and was operated on in Mulago Hospital. Is President Museveni telling us today that Ugandans loved Iddi Amin than they love him? let me take this argument further, President Obote was shot in Lugogo, and he was immediately rushed again to Mulago Hospital for an operation. President Museveni claims that Ugandans love him more than they love Obote. Why was Obote able to get an operation in a Uganda hospital, yet Museveni is claiming that he had to send Natasha to Germany for security reasons?

I have read Museveni's explanation and I could not help but ask only one question, was Natasha sent to Germany for security reasons or because under National Resistance Movement, the entire medical infrastructure has been destroyed? And that includes even the most basic items, water supply and electricity, services which were taken for granted under the two previous governments!!

Edward Mulindwa

Toronto-Canada