Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:24 PM
Subject: [Ugnet] Re: MPs probe Museveni schools in Tanzania

Charity begins at home. Thats why Uganda is in danger.

J. Ssenyange
-------------------------

        MPs probe Museveni schools in Tanzania
        Yasiin Mugerwa
        PARLIAMENT
A PARLIAMENTARY committee has instituted a probe into circumstances under which President Yoweri Museveni spent Shs1.6 billion of tax-payers money to construct two schools in Tanzania.

The Parliamentary Public Accounts Committee yesterday instructed its legal department to investigate the conditions under which the President committed public funds amounting to US$932,823.2 to build two secondary schools in Tanzania. The two schools include Nyamiyaga, Murongo located in Karagwe area and Nyarigamba, Muhutwe situated in Muleba District bordering Bokoba area.

According to correspondences Daily Monitor has seen, the construction of the two schools began some time in 2005 after Multiplex Ltd, a Ugandan private company allegedly won the contract.

The construction comes at a time when there is acute shortage of classrooms for Universal Primary Education and Universal Secondary Education in the country.

Concern was raised after the committee learnt that the money (Shs1.6 billion) Mr Museveni used for the construction was charged on the donation account of the StateHouse budget without authority. The committee also heard that the two schools were a donation by Mr Museveni to the Tanzanians for their historical contribution to the 1979 liberation struggle that ousted the former President, late Idd Amin Dada from power.

"This is unacceptable as Parliament we cannot appropriate money for Tanzanians yet many Ugandans are still grappling with illiteracy. This money would have gone to Luweero District but not Tanzania," said Nandala Mafabi (Budadiri West) the committee chairperson.

"This was a Ugandan struggle not for Tanzanians. If the president wished to donate he would have used his personal savings not public resources. To bring this (donation) to our budget was wrong."

Richard Muhinda, the Statehouse Comptroller said the money was part of President Museveni's donation item and is not limited to any country. "The President is the fountain of honour and is free to donate to any person that deserves assistance in whatever locality," said Mr Muhinda.

"It had been an outstanding donation to the people of Tanzania and we had to squeeze our own budget (StateHouse) to fulfill this pledge."

But the committee has established that even the circumstances under which Multiplex Ltd was awarded a $1 million contract to construct the two schools had loopholes. It is alleged that the tendering process was not clear since Mr Muhinda admitted that there was no advertising made inviting other bidders as the construction of both schools was an emergency.

Mr Muhinda insists that there was no foul play because StateHouse used restrictive bidding involving Multiplex Ltd, Roko Construction Company Ltd, Transaction International and Complliant Engineers & Trade Ltd.

"We offered the tender to Multiplex because they had a fair deal. Their rates were lower compared to others. I am proud to have been part of this project because it was transparent and we followed the law," Mr Muhinda said.

But the committee wondered whether it would be possible for Tanzanian authorities to allow Ugandan Parliament to conduct a value-for money audit into the project. Daily Monitor has learnt that State House contract with Multiplex was not signed by any Multiplex official but instead with the Tanzanian government.

The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.