To me, the "SDK" has a meaning of adding tools, examples, etc. to a core thing. Using it as a top-level collection name for the various framework implementations seems a bit "off".

I think our big code bases (Java, C++, maybe others in the future - e.g. C#, javaScript) could go into their own top-level things. One criteria to balance here is independence of releases. Each top level thing might reasonably be assumed to be release independent from other top level things. This isn't quite true with C++ and Java - they often have some (weak) dependencies due to naming issues, usually.

Other top-level things might be "test-corpora" if we get into that business.

-Marshall

Adam Lally wrote:
Our SVN structure is currently something like this:
site/
 site_publish/
   ** the html files for our website are currently here

uimaj/
 trunk/
   uima-website/
     ** website sources are here
   uima-docbooks/
     ** documentation is here
   uimaj-xxxx/
     ** code is here

I like the idea of the top-level separation between the website and
the code.  I think we should move the uima-website project to
underneath site.  (We have to do something to consolidate these,
soon.)

Another decision to make is about "trunk" directories.  I think we
should have a trunk directory under each top-level directory.  This
allows us to create branches and tags separately for the different
top-level things (site and uimaj).

I also wonder whether "uimaj" is the right name for the top level
directory.  When we add C++ support, do we want that as a separate top
level "uimacpp" directory.  That would mean that it would have
separate branches/tags from uimaj.  I'm not sure if that's good.  When
we make a release wouldn't we want to tag all of the code for Java and
C++ together?  Maybe "uima-sdk" is a better name, and we'd expect to
add the C++ projects there later?

So to recap I'm thinking of a structure like this:

site/
 trunk/
   uima-website/
     ** xml sources and generated html files go here

uima-sdk/
 trunk/
   uima-docbooks/
     ** documentation is here