>> can you state what speed - up and down - that BT considers to be
>> "good" and wants to be able to offer that to everybody, where
>> reasonably practicable? Would that be ADSL2+ speed, VDSL2+ speed?
>
> Not sure ADSL or VDSL "speed" is the right way of putting this.

I chose them purely to illustrate what service people might currently
get if they're lucky to have a copper phone line in good condition
which isn't too long, has low cross-talk etc.

>> For example, can a property which gets, say, ADSL2 with only 16Mb/s
>> down, 400Kb/s up, be considered good, acceptable or poor?
>
> That depends on what you are doing Paul! Can one watch HD movie on 16M - yes
> they can. Several! Can I kill gigamoth on counterstrike - yes I can.
>
> And to avoid being shot or Bill Gatesified you'll pardon me if don't  given
> you my personal view.

thanks, I was fishing for an official figure of "good enough".

...snip...

> Our vision is FTTP everywhere (has been for some time) but that's a 10+ years
> (more like 20) or longer project. NGA and G.FAST are great ways to get more
> speed out quickly, check the pace of all the FTTP companies if you don't
> believe me - demand for these high speed services is very poor and if I look
> at customers on higher speed services few of them ever use more than 40-50M
> sustained . Did I mention we need to make a return?

thanks. there's an element of "we don't get much demand for FTTP from
domestic properties", but then when I try and get FTTP as a domestic
user I can't find anyone seemingly able to take an order for it.

> What doesn't help is when the regulator decides to take a swipe at a fair bet
> investment...

I don't think anyone is particularly impressed with Ofcom. Or gov't
policies on taxing fibre.

> I love seeing community builds they help us remind how difficult this is and
> many of them are doing a great job but customers will eventually want more
> than these communities can often provide.

And there's a lot of domestic customers who seem to prefer to pay the
absolute bare minimum and put up with a crappy service and moan about
it! I've had people go wide-eyed when I tell them I pay Zen £42 a
month including line rental, because they pay less than half that for
crappy ADSL which they b*tch about all the time.