On Thu Aug 17, 2017 at 11:03:53AM +0100, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> And there's a lot of domestic customers who seem to prefer to pay the
> absolute bare minimum and put up with a crappy service and moan about
> it!

It might be slower but it should not be crappy, they have been told it'll
do the job in massive advertising campaigns. The strongest wifi ever must
be the best.

> I've had people go wide-eyed when I tell them I pay Zen £42 a
> month including line rental, because they pay less than half that for
> crappy ADSL which they b*tch about all the time.

Race to the bottom, they are only used to paying low prices because the
rush to grab all customers leads to price cutting. It used to be more expensive
and now many pay less than half they used to, if the prices had remained
the same there'd be a lot more to invest in making it not crappy (assuming
non money grabbing suppliers), some estimates claim enough to do FTTP

Though I like to slag BT off as much as anyone the competiion around them
is as much to blame, if they put a load into FTTP eveyone would be screaming
to OFCOM to force them to unbundle it (me too). I don't find the line rental
charges onerous, it's the backhaul that is the killer (how do you sell
a non crappy 300M FTTP when backhaul is >40quid/Mb/s) and those complaining to
OFCOM to reduce the line rental sell their backhaul for a similar price while
selling unlimited retail products for 10quid. Why should BT provide cheap
wholesale
when they don't?

So no matter what BT do someone will make it crappy because they can, the market
generally doesn't go for better

brandon