On 8 May 2020, at 19:13, Paul Mansfield
<paul+uk...@mansfield.co.uk<mailto:paul+uk...@mansfield.co.uk>> wrote:

On Thu, 7 May 2020, 17:50 Henry Merrett,
<henry.merr...@serverchoice.com<mailto:henry.merr...@serverchoice.com>> wrote:
+1 - I clearly remember it being considered good manners to allow public relay
through your SMTP server.

When I was an undergrad at university I discovered the % method of relaying
mails through other servers. We used to have competitions to have the maximum
time taken for an email to come back, ideally sending email via as many
countries as possible. I think the longest was over a day.

You remind me of the UKnet usage bills we used to get back in I think around
1990, where iirc emails in and out of the UK via the relay were charged at
4p/KB.  Payment to send or receive.

This guide of the same vintage brings back happy(?) memories -
http://dotat.at/tmp/JANET-Mail-Gateways.pdf

Tim