This is where managed service providers can make a difference.

My current day job is for a business ISP who also offers a lot of MSP
services.

IPv6 only services should be up and running for our guest and managed
services by the summer depending on current restrictions being lifted (have
equipment that needs installing in data centres).

But there still will be some customers that will require public IPv4 for
various reasons that have been discussed already.

It would be nice to have a cut off date though!

Would mean IT companies might actually need to learn about networking ;-)

The Draytek routers (why would anyone want a router that needs rebooting
for the slightest config change?!) are firewalled IPv6 by default though I
believe so might not be too much of an issue.

On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 09:36, Tom Bird <t...@marmot.org.uk> wrote:

> On 25/05/2020 20:02, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> > So is it actually feasible to announce *any* date when IPv6 will be
> > the only connectivity offered to the end user?
>
> No.
>
> Firstly, I'm a big IPv6 advocate, however...
>
> Secondly - with my business ISP hat on, businesses are only very, very
> rarely asking for it.
>
> The 3 men and a dog local IT companies that set their shitty draytek
> router up don't understand it.
>
> If I just go and turn it on without telling them and something gets a
> global IPv6 address that should be firewalled but isn't, and it gets
> compromised and they end up with a data breach or a load of fraud or
> something which damages their company, and then I might end up being
> pursued for damages.
>
> On the other hand if you enable it on things like student halls and
> public wifi hotspots then it takes a *lot* of the load off your NAT
> devices and this is really great.
>
> We're going to be in a v4/v6 mixed world for a long time yet and
> unfortunately you can't just wave a magic wand to change that.
>
> --
> Tom
>
> :: www.portfast.co.uk / @portfast
> :: hosted services, domains, virtual machines, consultancy
>
> --
Paul Bone
Network Consultant

PMB Technology