Steve Deering's Hourglass presentation is still a classic. Whether you use v4 or v6. That's a nice recollection of him and 1997.

The thing is by 2000 we had to run with IPv6 transition plan because there was zero chance of getting a v6 that was v4 wire compatible through the IETF. That plan depended on so many free IPv4 space that the transition had to happen early or it would become "too late" and then we'd end up with a gatewayed portal internetwork. That would be really bad news for a rich ecosystem of ISPs and Application services.

Of course that was all before "the Cloud", Google, Amazon, Facebook, ..... and CDNs.....

If anything the CFOs of ISPs and network service providers should be looking  not just at the cost of IP addresses including implementation but the risk cost of not having them. This has been a hard sell because of the very short time horizons of current business practices and investor demands.

best Christian