On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 12:17, Nick Hilliard <n...@foobar.org> wrote:
> ipv4 will fade when it becomes more expensive and troublesome than ipv6.

+1
look at the efforts to deprecate python2 and the number of times the
deadline has been pushed back.
and how much microsoft were able to charge for keeping windows 7 on
life support.

At the moment, having IPv4 is an externality for most customers of
ISPs, but if it becomes an explicit part of the bill, much like many
ISPs charge for static IPv4 addresses, then perhaps most customers
would accept having to use dns64/nat64 via their provider's nat64
gateway and that would accelerate the change?

I wonder how content filtering/logging for anti-piracy/illegal porn
will be affected by that, it will surely be harder to disentangle all
the customer IPv4 traffic?