Mike Lischke wrote

> Dear Sarasvati,

> Just out of curiosity, why do you use an own mailing list server if
> you can use a free one (Yahoo Groups)? The Unicode list is mirrored
> there anyway, so why not make the "backup list" being the actual
> list. You will get not only the list, but also a shared file area,
> chat, polls, an open archive and a powerful server/backbone. And you
> will take the load of managing the list from your shoulders.

> Ciao, Mike

Mike

I'd rather keep Sarasvati.

To my mind the Unicode web & ftp servers mean that a separate file area just for this
mailing list would be pretty well redundant - and I suspect most people subscribed to
this list have much better things to do than to participate in chat rooms and polls
(and I can't see what benefit they'd be).

Having managed a number of lists myself in the past, I find it's usually more work and
more time consuming to maintain a list through a web interface than it is to send
command messages to a list server - and a lot of subscribers find the little
advertisements Yahoo attaches to messages irritating.

While Yahoo groups may have a powerful server and backbone the amount of traffic on
that server and backbone means that it would not necessarily be any faster than the
current set-up.

BTW, out of curiosity, do you know if Yahoo Groups supports non-roman script messages?
- If so, what character encodings & formats does it support?

- Chris