Hi Christopher,

> To my mind the Unicode web & ftp servers mean that a separate file area just
> for this mailing list would be pretty well redundant - and I suspect most
> people subscribed to this list have much better things to do than to
> participate in chat rooms and polls (and I can't see what benefit they'd be).

Yes, yes and yes. These were only examples, not meant as convincing arguments.
Although I have a very bad stand with my complains about the technical side of this
mailing list, I still have the hope to get some support by other subscribers.

> Having managed a number of lists myself in the past, I find it's usually
> more work and more time consuming to maintain a list through a web interface
> than it is to send command messages to a list server - and a lot of
> subscribers find the little advertisements Yahoo attaches to messages
> irritating.

I agree with the ads-issue but you will get used with that little four-liner. Many
people have a longer signature (also on this list). Managing through web or "command
line" is a matter of taste and cannot be discussed.

> While Yahoo groups may have a powerful server and backbone the amount of
> traffic on that server and backbone means that it would not necessarily be
> any faster than the current set-up.

Also agreed. I want to point out that their servers are at least as reliable as the
one currently used for this list.

> BTW, out of curiosity, do you know if Yahoo Groups supports non-roman script
> messages? - If so, what character encodings & formats does it support?

I have to admit I don't know. I have never cared about character encodings used with
YG. Because of the Unicode list I have switched to UTF8 encoding for all my mails
(sent in plain text) and they reach the receiver unaltered. Optionally you have HTML
with all the well known character encodings if necessary (although I prefer plain text
and be it only for security reasons).

Ciao, Mike

PS: I sent two test mails one after another to one of mailing lists (to test the
encoding) and received them already but I still have not received my first mail to the
Unicode list. But I guess this half-an-hour delay has to do with the server change,
isn't it?