Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote,

> I suspect a lot of our tools haven't been thoroughly tested with
> PLane-1 and are likely to have these sorts of bugs in them.

Since Plane One is still fairly new, this is understandable.

I'm also having trouble getting Plane Zero pages to validate.

Spent several hours revising some of my pages as a result of
some kindly off-list suggestions.  (Most of the pages on my site
were rewritten to pass Tidy.exe long ago, and apparently were
already correct.)  After getting the revised pages to pass the
Tidy validator (which is also from w3), it was a big surprise
that the first four pages checked with the W3 validator failed
to pass.

Amazingly, some pages didn't pass because " wasn't recognized
as a valid named entity.

After tidy warns that <STYLE> tags need a type element, went ahead
and added them, but W3 validator insists that type elements in a
STYLE tag invalidate the page if it is HTML 3.2 (IIRC) .

Just for fun, tried validating a page from W3's own site,
http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/WD-html40-970708/entities.html

It failed too.  A fatal error was generated because the page lacks
the DOCTYPE declaration, and the validator just can't seem to get
past that.

There's an interesting article about how use of the DOCTYPE breaks
existing web pages at:
http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol4/html_no22.htm

One big issue with the W3 validator is that it doesn't seem to
recognize charset=x-user-defined as a valid character set.  Since the
pages marked as user defined use NCRs, technically they could
be considered to be in UTF-8 (since the pages are actually encoded
in ASCII), but using the UTF-8 declaration in such pages breaks
the display.

M.S.I.E. has always behaved a bit erratically with UTF-8, although
newer versions of the browser have offered slight improvements
in this regard.  Pages made with NCRs often display differently
from identical UTF-8 pages even though there is no reason for
this to happen.  The NCR pages are usually the ones which display
as expected.

Correct display is paramount.  Other issues are secondary.

Best regards,

James Kass.