Antoine Leca <Antoine10646 at leca dash marti dot org> wrote:

>> So there's nothing wrong if "Han'gul" is shown to users
>
> Sorry: this is meaningless to me as French reader. And it is a mistake
> (missing breve) when it comes about the McCune-Reischauer scheme.
> Half-good fallback mechanisms are usually better than nothing, but
> worse than anything else. And we do have better possibilities here.

This question of how to spell "Hangul" in French was discussed on the
ISO 15924 discussion list back in 2000.  (Antoine, you may remember that
discussion; you were involved in it.)  Michael wasn't happy about having
to maintain three separate spellings, which, as he correctly pointed
out, "adds nothing to the standard but draws attention to the fact that
Korean transliteration is unstandardized."  But apparently somebody
deemed it necessary, because there they are.

In any case, the question of *which* French-based transliteration(s) to
use seems to have been decided already.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/