From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Ayers
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 8:24 PM
To: 'Mark Davis'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin-
>arabic

        OK, just because I do so love monkey wrenches, please explain what I
found in my atlas:
        Vietnamese       English
                  ------>
        Hà Tĩnh          Ha Tinh
        In which we have a trancription/transliteration/taxonomy problem
between Latin and Latin.  Since this does not remotely roundtrip (Ha, for
instance, has 18 Vietnamese equivalents), and no attempt is made to match
pronunciation, how do we refer to it?

/|/|ike
Trivia question: Which Vietnamese city does my atlas spell correctly, much
to the chagrin of the Vietnamese?