Philipp Reichmuth scripsit:

> "Chykoffskee" is pretty accurate, actually.

Thank you.  I have long since forgotten all the (very small amount of)
Russian I ever learned, but I retain a firm grip on its phonology due to
an interesting paedagogical device.  My Russian instructor spent the first
week or so of class teaching us to speak English with a Russian accent
(and this I can do to this day).  The idea was that having mastered this,
we could then begin to speak Russian as well with a Russian accent,
which is to say, perfectly.

> I'd say Tchaikovsky is just
> a spelling taken over from French at a time when French was pretty much
> the international common language at least in diplomacy and art.

Doubtless.  I have even seen it spelled in German fashion in English a
time or two.

--
I suggest you call for help,                    John Cowan
or learn the difficult art of mud-breathing.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]