In a message dated 6/27/2007 2:51:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

His now public commentary reaffirms the utter ineptitude of  Lewis Wendell's
command of the UCD and most cogently answers highly  regarded local attorney
Karen Allen's question of  yesterday:

Of course, putting all the blame on John rather than accepting
responsibility for an organizational culture he supposedly manages, that was at
 best
wanting in establishing a modus operandi and circumspectin discussing the
incident
that triggered but didn't really cause the uproar, was despicable --
chickens**t -- really.

But most telling to me about UCD's general and Wendell's specific  disconnect
with the reality of the neighborhood were his answers to the  questions about
the NID and the rebuilding of confidence by the community. He  obviously
hasn't a clue about the opposition to the first and the  dissatisfaction
implied
by the second. I guess he believes a certain  party that I'm just too cheap to
want to pay my "fair share" for all  these terrific things UCD does
(presumably like the two concerts in Clark Park  that nobody attended, street
lights
that won't improve the safety as  they're being claimed to do, and fancy
bakeries
that can't stay in  business, to cite just a few examples).

Anybody remotely qualified for the job with which Penn in its ivory tower
isolation has entrusted him would have said that this incident -- from the
start
 all the way through the aftermath of Councilwoman's expression of
dissatisfaction -- has been of great concern to the organization, and will
result in a
thorough re-evaluation of the goals and programs of UCD, including  more
attention paid to the voices in the community who have been critical of
various
initiatives. But no. For Lewis, it's just business as usual. Not an  inkling of
how deep-rooted the problems were that caused the present  situation.

It reminds me of Einstein's definition of insanity. Doing the same thing
over and over, while expecting a different result each time.

Wendell buried himself in this interview... which, I understand, was
conducted by email so he had plenty of time to think through his answers and
have
them vetted by everyone from the $74,000 flackette up through Penn's
high-priced legal counsel.

I'd give him a straight F on the University City Report Card.

Al  Krigman
Left of Ivan Grozny