I've read everything I can find on the forums,but I am still unable play
.m4a files (which I believe are also AAC files) on SC 7.3.1 on an EeePC
4G with Squeezebox Duet. Didnt work on 7.3 either, so I just upgraded
to 7.3.1.
I have mplayer installed, but the following edits to
custom-convert.conf:

ape wav * *
        [mplayer] -novideo -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=/dev/fd/4 $FILE$ 4>&1
1>/dev/null
alc wav * *
        [mplayer] -novideo -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=/dev/fd/4 $FILE$ 4>&1
1>/dev/null
mov wav * *
        [mplayer] -novideo -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=/dev/fd/4 $FILE$ 4>&1
1>/dev/null

cause SC to hang at first (seemed to recover later) but didnt help to
play m4a files.
I do not understand how to download and where to put the codecs etc.
such as faad2 and lame. Is there anywhere a simple guide to setting up
SC 7.3.1 on a linux machine. I looked in the SC settings from my
browser and the file types settings for AAC are greyed out, so
presumbly something is missing.
Is it worthwhile phoning a help line? - havnt tried yet, but I guess
its better to get the forum help first.

--
tony1tf