in ubutnu, all i can recommend is that *right* away after initial
installation, users go into applications/add-remove and type in
"restricted" to get the restricted ubuntu system stuff - it is vital
for multimedia and normal operation, i think. if you play apple files,
do the faad stuff on top of that.

*then* install SC. and add a custom config file if you play m4a's.

that is my experience based on a recent from scratch install.

i'll be glad to provide detail on my recent installation, which would
not have been successful without help i got in this forum.

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: 3.3 GHz Intel E8600 Core 2 Duo (8GB) - Vista Ultimate 64 &
Ubuntu 8.10 64
Sources: SB3 (4), SB Boom (2), Duet, Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tuned by Darmstadt Psychoacoustics Lab
Headphones: Grado SR-1