radish;441141 Wrote:
> Indeed, it is interesting. One thing I have read is that Linux often has
> better network performance than Windows (at the stack level), and that
> CIFS isn't always that great performance wise, which would certainly
> explain the directory scan differences. Wouldn't (shouldn't!) affect the
> db specific stuff though. Would be interested to see the difference
> scanning from local files rather than the NAS, if only to eliminate the
> network stack.
>
> But thanks, enlightening!
There seems to be something sub-optimal about Windows' performance with
CIFS or SMB, but it's hard to know for sure without doing a local
library comparison like radish suggests. A couple years back I tested
scanning a NAS library with Win2K vs. Ubuntu on truly identical
hardware: the same dual-boot machine. Ubuntu was 40% faster then.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=193722&highlight=40%25#post193722

--
aubuti