Ah, I missed your check box graphic.

You do know what that does behind the scenes, right?

It adds a user to a group.

That's all.

So if you're allowed access to audio devices, you're added to the
'audio' group.  If you're allowed access to a floppy drive, you're added
to the 'floppy' group.

What you are asking for is "I would like to give the sbs user access to
all files on my system, regardless of how a file system is mounted that
would normally forbid access to such things"

This isn't doable with groups on Unix: the 'root' group (group id 0) is
not at all magical like user id 0 is.

So your solution, to allow a process total access to any file, despite
the permissions on that file, would mean giving the process root.

Very Very Bad.

Linux simple does NOT offer any other way to do it.*

Really.

It would be MUCH better if you mounted the drive correctly yourself so
that SBS could access it.

* well, there could be helper processes that ran suid-root that opened
a file and passed back open file handles to a non-root process, but
that's still dangerous, it just limits the danger a bit.

--
snarlydwarf