snarlydwarf;497188 Wrote:
> And I think it's pretty clear that Ubuntu or the user is doing things
> wrong.
>
> What userid do you suggest SBS run as and why?
>
> At what point in the startup sequence should networking run and why?

People with other Linux distros see exactly the same issues, so no, it
is not an Ubuntu issue. As Pat pointed out, it is true Ubuntu has
changed, however it does requires application developers to implement
changes, which doesn't seem to have happened with SBS.

And I have not claimed it is a userdid issue. The userid can be
"Beijing Bicycles" for all I care. Once again, for the last time, it is
about user *privileges*. and whatever userid SBS is going for these days
is not installed with useful privileges, which is why many Ubuntu users
need to fiddle around with permission settings manually
post-installation to allow SBS to access an external drive that is there
to be used by everybody. See attached - it is a silly setting.

|Filename: userprivs.jpg                                            |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8884|

pablolie

...pablo
Server: Shuttle X27D - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - SBS 7.4.1
Sources: SB3 (3), SB Boom (3), Duet (1), Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v - Creek OBH21/22
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tower (tuned) - Audioengine 5/S8 - Acoustic
Energy Aego M
Headphones: Grado SR-1