Got it! BTW, Is there any reason why the MAC with -m isn't the actual
MAC of the network device?
I created a little shell script to make the MAC the actual MAC. now it
for sure is unique:
root@winebox:/etc# more /usr/local/bin/squeezeslave.sh
set - `ifconfig | grep -B 1 inet | head -1`
MAC=$5
/usr/local/bin/squeezeslave -F -m "$MAC" -M  /var/log/squeezeslave.log

While squeezeslave now works beautifully on my laptop, I still have a
challenge on the mediacentre. (a mythtv box). squeezeplay doesn't show
all devices. I want it to output to the optical output (iec958), but
squeezeplay refuses. See below the output of aplay -L and squeezeslave
-L. Any suggestions anyone?

Bert

P.S. that's good news on the squeezeplay front! So it seems to be an
incompatibility between portaudio and pulseaudio. Time for some
googling!

Bert
root@winebox:/etc# aplay -L
null
default:CARD=Intel
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer
speakers
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
HDA Intel, ALC889A Digital
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
HDA Intel, HDMI 0
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
HDA Intel, ALC889A Digital
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
HDA Intel, HDMI 0
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
HDA Intel, ALC889A Digital
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
HDA Intel, HDMI 0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
HDA Intel, ALC889A Digital
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
HDA Intel, HDMI 0
Hardware device with all software conversions

root@winebox:/etc# squeezeslave -L
Output devices:
* 1: (ALSA) hdmi (11/46)

--