JohnSwenson wrote:
> What advantages do you get for using a SATA drive instead of a USB
> drive? Do people really need the speed difference? Or is it cost?
For me the main reason is much lower CPU load when using SATA. I've
toyed with geode machines, using the IDE or PCI->SATA busses makes quite
a difference. The WB and a Geode are different beasts I know. But i'd
hate dedicating one core just to safely read from the drive.
I think performance itself is not really an issue.
Most SiI SATA chips (and others) handle port multiplexing (PMP). So you
can hook (and "see" in the OS) more than 1 drive to a single port, via
an external e-Sata multi-drive bay.
If the Quad's SATA implementation includes PMP this opens possibilities
that USB doesn't really offer, like running ZFS.

4 SB 3 • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • SqueezeLite • Squeezebox Server 7.6.2
(Debian 6.0)  with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • IRBlaster by
Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix
by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song
Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • Just Covers by Tom Kalmijn • WeatherTime by
Martin Rehfeld • Local Player, BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode •
Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.