JohnSwenson wrote:

> The current design is using a Hammond 1455T1601 extruded aluminum
> enclosure. The board slides into slots in the side walls. With the end
> panels in place it is completely enclosed no ventilation at all. The
> wand module and the carrier board are going to take about 2 watts which
> will work well with the aluminum enclosure which will act as a heat sink
> for what is inside.
>
> This design was never designed to have an additional large heat
> producing device inside. The idea was that if you wanted to use a large
> drive that uses a lot of power that you plug it into the the USB port
> and use the power supply and heat removal mechanism that came with the
> drive.
>
> Having to support power hungry drives and get rid of their heat would
> compromise the design in several ways by adding increased electrical
> noise in the box, possible fans that not only add electrical but also
> acoustic noise. I'm trying to produce the best sounding network music
> player I can with for low cost, low power and small size. Internal
> drives tend to conflict with that.

I'm still interested to hear if JackOfAll had a reason for having a
drive that isn't related to local media storage and development speed.

With the exception for this, my feeling based on your post is that it
might be better to look into solutions where we can have an external
drive in a separate stackable enclosure. My personal worries with an
external drive is that it's going to look ugly, but if we can come up
with a stackable solution that looks decent this wouldn't be the case.
The price of a stackable drive solution would of course be higher due to
the extra box, but it would make it possible to feed the drive enclosure
with separate power and select an enclosure for the drive that has
better ventilation.

This way it's also possible for people to buy player box + drive box in
their main listening room and only buy the player box for the additional
rooms.

I kind of like the idea of having a solution that's expandable instead
of building a "do it all" solution that solves all possible needs by
itself.

Is there any stackable solutions that would work with the Hammond
1455T1601 enclosure ?

Maybe it would even be worth to consider to have a eSATA connection on
the back of the enclosure to indicate to people that it's designed to
have the drive outside the box and not inside the box ? Or would that
require a lot of changes ?

I also agree with JJZolx, if the board isn't suitable to handle a SATA
drive you should probably not offer an option to do so, it will just
cause you trouble because people are going to try to use it the wrong
way and then complain when it doesn't work and can't fulfill their
expectations.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
You may also want to try my Android apps 'Squeeze Display'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.squeezedisplay)
and 'RSS Photo Show'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.rssphotoshow)
*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.