JackOfAll wrote:
> John has dispatched one of his SWAMP 0.5 "test" DAC carrier boards to
> me. I am hopeful that a couple of weeks after receiving it, we will have
> an ALSA driver and be looking to move forward with a limited production
> run of CSP1 boards. CSP1 is effectively going to be the public beta
> board and was always intended to be a limited run, the chance to shake
> out any bugs or make any last minute changes before moving forward to a
> full production run, of perhaps 200 boards.
>
> From a financing perspective, the expectation is that for such a small
> run of CSP1, we are potentially going to be looking at 4x the cost per
> board, compared to the cost per board of a much larger production run.
> My expectation is that to get these into the hands of beta testers we
> will need to subsidise the costs, as I doubt people will want to pay
> $400 for the privilege of beta testing. ;)
>
> At least 10 of the CSP1 boards will be spoken for, (myself, Adrian,
> John, and to get them into the hands of what will be our US and UK
> distributors), leaving perhaps 10 or 15 boards to be allocated to
> "public" beta testers. I suspect that we will need to pass on some of
> the cost of these boards to the "public" beta testers that will receive
> them. I also suspect some of you guys, that have already jumped on board
> by purchasing Wandboard's, will want to join in with the CSP1 beta
> testing.
>
> What I would like to try and do, is come up with a compromise, whereby
> we part-subsidise the beta boards, perhaps asking the early adopters,
> (a.k.a. beta testers), to contribute $200 to the CSP1 board cost, on the
> understanding that when we reach the CSP2 production run, that they will
> also receive a "free" board from that run. Best case scenario, there
> won't be any major changes, (if any at all), between CSP1 and CSP2, so
> you'll end up with 2 boards for your $200, but if for some reason CSP1
> does have "issues" and they need to be rectified with hardware or PCB
> changes before CSP2 goes into production, you'll at least be guaranteed
> to get a board from the CSP2 run without having to pay again.
>
> The $200 figure I have used above, is just a number I have plucked out
> of thin air, so it is not a fixed and final figure. But on the basis
> that it is the number, my question would be, how many of you, (if any),
> would be prepared to pay $200 for a CSP1 "beta" board, which will also
> include a "complimentary" CSP2 "production" board when they are
> produced.

Wow, been away from this forum for a week or so and things moved on very
fast.
Anyway, if there still is room I'm interested to join the beta testing
team too.

1 x SB3, 1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio and 2 x SB Touch - all wireless
1 x Wandboard behind the bedroom ceiling
ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.7.2. w iTunes plugin
iPeng on iPod Touch.
SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
http://www.last.fm/user/phibon