JackOfAll wrote:
> There are reasons why upstreams like Fedora and Ubuntu place as much
> stock in trademark as license protection. If you change one line of
> code, you cannot call it Fedora, that is protected by trademark, it is a
> respin, remix or some such, and "unofficial", so downstreams who make
> mods cannot point fingers straight back at upstream at the point any
> changes they have made or the distribution of their "version" of the
> upstream OS causes them a problem. And the mod doesn't have to be
> significant. It doesn't even have to be code. Change one word in a help
> document..... You are no longer some sort of "mirror" site,
> re-distributing XYZ's upstream image, you are now distributing your own
> image.

That clarification should be read by all.  I had understood the project
was effectively distributing it's own image, but not necessarily fully
understood the ramifications.

> The alternative to making sure you have bulletproof legal protection for
> distributing images, is something I looked at and then dismissed some
> time back. User downloads stock Fedora GA image. User puts that on a
> SDCARD and boots device with it. Then he wgets a bash script from the
> device. Running that bash script turns it from a stock Fedora image into
> the music player image. Reboot et voila, you have a Community Squeeze
> Player. No need to distribute an image. User gets the stock Fedora image
> directly from Fedora. You are only distributing a script. Sounds simple.
> But there is at least one issue that I was never able to solve. I
> believe it will be solved by the time F21 ships in October..... It
> complicates what the user has to do, to get the device up and running as
> a music player.... For geeks only.... It needs to be made simpler, not
> harder! ;)
>
> I'm not trying to be rude, just being my normal blunt self, but getting
> a SDCARD image to which no changes need to be made (other than to
> extract it) and copy/dd onto a blank SDCARD and the device booted, is
> seen as complicated by some!

This is exaclty the concept I thought might be feasible - for geek or
non-geek alike. Surely people could follow instructions? As it is,
anyone looking for an alternative for their shiny
newCubietruck/Wandboard now will have to get to grips with some
technical stuff.

> I could write and have suggested I might write a book in a couple of
> recent conversations..... But it wont be one or two pages. There is
> enough material here for an epic tome, titled "Everything you never
> wanted to know about distributing 'free' software".

If it ever comes to light, put me down for a copy, it would make
interesting reading.  Thanks again for your time in respondong to my
posts.