Hi Greg,

Greg Erskine wrote:

> Also, after years of reasonable wifi streaming, I had to change my
> channel because my neighbours brought newer, I assume more powerful wifi
> routers and also turned on their mobile phone access points. I often get
> over 15 access points. The default channels in Australia seem to be 1 ,6
> and 11, so I use channel 9, 2 away from my neighbours.

Be careful there. The channels do overlap which means that if one device
uses ch 1 and the other ch 2 they both see each other as a high noise
source but do not recognise the other as a valid transmission. Therefore
they do not wait for the transmission to finish before transmitting them
self. Net result is a worse result for both parties in most cases.
As a picture says more than words have a look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels.
This is why the advice is to only use channels 1,6,11 (14 is not usable
in Australia) and put competing devices onto the same channels still so
they recognise each other to make best use of the available capacity.
There are cases where it helps to cause interference, e.g. if a device
uses high bandwidth while having poor reception (e.g. mobile playing
video) it occupies the channel almost 100% not leaving much room for any
other user. Causing interference there means that that device will fail
to get a usable connection and therefore freeing the capacity. However
this backfires if your AP and clients don't have a fairly good reception
because the competing AP/clients will do the same to your clients/AP.

Greg Erskine wrote:

  >   > Scanning.

  > SSID                 Quality   Level       Channel      Encryption
Address

  > 1. TelstraB307CB             100     64/100     1 (2.412GHz)   on  WPA2
C4:EA:1D:B3:07:CB
  > 2. Fon WiFi                  100     64/100     1 (2.412GHz)   off NONE
C6:EA:1D:B3:07:CE

Note that some of these use MACs/BSSIDs next to each other suggesting it
is the same access point and in this respect counting as a single user
only.