Andresq wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Be careful there. The channels do overlap which means that if one device
> uses ch 1 and the other ch 2 they both see each other as a high noise
> source but do not recognise the other as a valid transmission. Therefore
> they do not wait for the transmission to finish before transmitting them
> self. Net result is a worse result for both parties in most cases.
> As a picture says more than words have a look at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels.
> This is why the advice is to only use channels 1,6,11 (14 is not usable
> in Australia) and put competing devices onto the same channels still so
> they recognise each other to make best use of the available capacity.
> There are cases where it helps to cause interference, e.g. if a device
> uses high bandwidth while having poor reception (e.g. mobile playing
> video) it occupies the channel almost 100% not leaving much room for any
> other user. Causing interference there means that that device will fail
> to get a usable connection and therefore freeing the capacity. However
> this backfires if your AP and clients don't have a fairly good reception
> because the competing AP/clients will do the same to your clients/AP.
>
> Note that some of these use MACs/BSSIDs next to each other suggesting it
> is the same access point and in this respect counting as a single user
> only.

Hi Andresq,

Thanks for the information. My experience may only be anecdotal but it
seems to work for me (or my old wifi router/network, it could well be
specific to my hardware?). When I reset my router I usually forget to
change the channel. In the following days, I start getting severe
rebuffering, so I change the channel on the router and problem goes
away. This has happened 3 or 4 times over the years and occurs on my
Squeezeboxes as well as RPI/pCP.

Logic dictates that all my neighbours are not having trouble using
duplicate channels, though there seems to be one that changes their
channel.

I live in a detached house in a battle axe, so I have 4 neighbours, I
know one doesn't have a wifi modem, so the rest must have one and they
must have APs on their mobiles. I can tell when they are home or have
visitors by the increase or decrease of APs.

regards
Greg